Take a guess at some of the connections between race, education and disability. In what ways could these things possibly be linked?
Please look up and define the following terms:
Learning Disabled (LD)
Mentally Retarded (MR)
Emotionally Disturbed (ED)
What are these categories and their relationship to special education?
Statistics show that students of color are over-represented in special education classes (Reid, Knight, 2006). Why do you think this is?
How can race, gender and class intersect with disability to impact how people experience their lives?
"Disability, race, and class can be viewed as constructs that serve the means of social organization, with each suggesting a preferred state of being (able-bodied, white, middle class) over 'others' (disabled, people of color, working class) (Connor, 158).
What do you think Connors means when he refers to these social constructs as a means of social organization? Do you agree?Why or why not?
Think about the type of testing used to diagnose a learning disability. How might someone's race, class or language background impact their ability to do well on these tests?
I realize that these texts might be a little difficult so to help aid your readings try answering the following questions for each reading (please bring your answers to class on Monday):
Disability Justifies Exclusion of Minority Students:
- What connection are the authors making between the over-representation of students of color in special education and their under-representation in college?
- What are some of the ways that white, middle class student in special education have an easier time accessing college than students of color in special education?
- How do belief systems (ideologies) about what is 'normal' impact who is enrolled in special education classes?
- What are some of the categories of oppression that Michael experiences in his day-to-day life? Please provide examples for each type of oppression.
- Give your best effort at defining the 4 domains of oppression that the author uses (structural, disciplinary, hegemonic, and interpersonal) and provide examples for each domain.
- What are some of the problems in diagnosing learning disabilities? What role does language play?
- What role does having a low SES play in academic achievement?
- What is the connection between the presence of bilingual education and students testing below-standards for academic achievement.